Because I could find nothing on the market that was really suitable for raising small sized quails, as manufacturers only produced models adapted to large Japanese laying quail (these are the only ones that are bred intensively), I resigned myself to develop and build my own breeding cages model.
I choosed for lightweight but durable materials :
- 20 mm anodized aluminum tubes and their corresponding nylon assembly blocks
- Galvanized square bird mesh 0,5 cm x 0,5 cm
- 3 mm thick white plastic panels
- Constant level automatic watering cups fed by 10 mm diameter pipes.
- Water tank with a capacity of 1000 liters
- Anodised birdcage front panels with 1 door
- Blind rivets
- Little white colrings
- Plastic bird feeder of 40 mm lenght
- A lot of determination and time
The first three modules were built in 2012.
A clear corrugated plastic roof protects all from rain and doors have been added to prevent mice and rats from coming into contact with the quails.
The blocks were leaning against a wall and facing south.
Later, I had tailor-made aluminium drawers made by a Flemish craftsman. These were made by folding aluminium sheets. They are used to collect the droppings.
Construction of the three first blocks during the year 2012 :
Construction of another block during the year 2019 :
Battery of cages finished, August 21th, 2019